Kale is a versatile leafy-green that is hearty, full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. When combined with juicy apples, pomegranate seeds and crunchy hazel nuts it will become your new favorite salad!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 heads kale, shredded
- 2 honey crisp apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fig preserves
- 1 Leek (white sections, sliced thin)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (removed from stems)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large salad bowl combine kale, cinnamon, apples and arils.
- For the vinaigrette, pour olive oil in a skittle and add sliced leeks. Heat over medium heat, until it the surface shimmers. Be careful not to boil the oil or not to burn the leeks.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Add the apple cider vinegar, fig preserves and thyme. Whisk together until the fig preserves dissolve. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
- For nut allergies, omit hazel nuts and replace with organic toasted sunflower seed.
- For additional flavor, add feta cheese crumbles.
- For a heartier salad add grilled chopped free-range chicken.